Tuesday, August 3, 2010

All in One Piece

I made it! All the dogs, all the houses, the business, and the children stayed in one piece while my parents were gone.  I'm counting that a success! We even snuck some fun in! We saw the Sorcerer's Apprentice, which I really enjoyed! My brother had been wanting to see it so he and Kreg and Westin & I all saw it Sunday afternoon-- I was so impressed that we didn't have to take Westin out once through the whole show.  I was prepared to miss half of it, but he did great! We also made a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese, had a Pizza Picnic Pepsi Party at the Park (a family tradition!), took Drake out to Panda Express (his favorite) for his birthday and had a little birthday party later that evening. 

One of my new favorite things is marshmallow rolled fondant.  I've discovered this year that it is so easy to make, so easy to use, and makes really fun-looking cakes! I've had a few opportunities to try it out these past few months and I'm just having too much fun.  I have a lot to learn but I think I'm getting the hang of it :) Here's the funky tower I made for Drake this week:



In case you would like to try it out, here's the way-to-easy recipe:
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup shortening

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in the microwave: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix. Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY, then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands.  Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in). 

Speaking of recipes, I HAVE to note that Mamaw's cook book, "Recipes: for body and Soul" has been published and you can now purchase it!  Obviously, it's a must-have :) Here's a link to purchase it off of Amazon Recipes: for body and soul. We are SO proud of you, Mamaw!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this marshmallow fondant recipe, Keleigh! I'm not a fan of the taste of regular fondant, but this one sounds like it would taste better. So I'm going to try it. I know Mamaw is proud to have her book promoted too! I've already sold 5 here just from the ones I brought back with me! Yummy recipes in there.
    Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Keleigh! I look forward to giving this one a try! You are so creative! I'll bet Drake loved the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am excited to try the new recipe! That is, whenever I get an ounce of energy back. I'm sure it will be any day now. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete